Sunday, January 28, 2007

New Twists On Old Favorites...Spicy!

I love trying new food. Some of it's gross, but some of it is awesome. I think it's worth all the gross stuff to get to the awesome stuff. Here are two new things I've tried recently:

I love Tabasco Sauce. It's great on anything bland, but I particularly like it on mac n' cheese and pizza. I've tried some Tabasco-flavored products, like Fritos, but those tend to be "hot" without any actual flavor. But when a Whole Foods cashier suggested Chipotle Tabasco, I was game.

It's soooo good. It's better than the original, and you know that's not something I say very often! It's not as hot as original, but the smokiness from the chipotles substitutes the hot with flavor. My mac n' cheese is super happy!

As some of you know, um, I love Funyuns. I don't buy them very often because they really have no nutritional value whatsoever (awesomeness value is off the charts, though). The last few times I've been to the grocery store, Wasabi Funyuns have been staring me in the face, whispering, whispering, "Buy me, Michellephant. You're Asian. It's your duty."

I'm not a huge fan of wasabi (I generally dislike horseradish in all forms), but I finally listened. These are a truly bizarre snack. They're decent; they're hot; they clear out your sinuses. They're NOT as good as the original.

Both are worth trying.

Chipotle Tabasco: A+
Wasabi Funyuns: B

4 comments:

Listy-loo said...

Sounds like a fun experiment. I have seen the chipotle Tobasco but never the wasabi Funyuns. I will keep an eye out for them!

Anonymous said...

I love the chipotle Tabasco!! I first tried it at a restaurant in Canada then I had to buy some for myself. I've never seen the wasabi Funyuns, but I have the feeling I would love those, too.

Anonymous said...

I love the chipotle Tabasco!! I first tried it at a restaurant in Canada then I had to buy some for myself. I've never seen the wasabi Funyuns, but I have the feeling I would love those, too.

MXF said...

LL, The Tabasco is really good. I think you'll really like it. The Funyuns, well, I don't think you'll go for those.

A, I actually think my love of Funyuns can probably be traced all the way back to some high school lunches we had together.