Monday, August 07, 2006

#57 New Food: Litchi

Some people spell it lychee. I have no idea which is more correct, but litchi is more aesthetically pleasing to me, so that's what I go with.

This may not be a new food for some of you. There is, after all, litchi juice and litchi sorbet. But perhaps you've never bought fresh litchi? They can be a little intimidating, but they're sweet and unusual. It's also rather inexpensive to buy a handful, so it's worth experimenting if you've never had them. Very prevalent in Chinatown, but also available at ye olde Whole Foods.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We New Yorkers are spoiled by so many litchi options, aren't we? Have you tried Chinatown Ice Cream Factory Litchi Ice Cream (heavenly!)and Lichido Liqueur (amazing new litchi-peach liquor)and those little litchi gummy gels (so addictive)?

MXF said...

Of course I've tried CICF litchi ice cream...I even had fresh litchis on top! Snowman and I LOVE the litchi gummies too. I've never had the liqueur though...that sounds truly lovely. Thanks for the tip, anon!

Shannonymous said...

I only know of litchis from their mention in the musical "Kismet." Looking forward to trying them! =)

Listy-loo said...

I think lychee drinks were all the rage about a year and a half ago.

What are your feelings about tamarind?

MXF said...

I do recall having a litchi martini once upon a moon.

I have a wary skepticism of tamarind. I actually don't know if I've ever had it or could spot one if I saw it, but it's used a lot in Indian cooking, and I'm not a very big fan of Indian food...