Wednesday, August 02, 2006

#52 Frozen Bananas

First things first: this is not what my frozen bananas looked like that I made for Bananarama. The ones I made did not look very good. The chocolate was ultra-gloopy and the Reese's Pieces I rolled them in were rather a mess. However, I will say, they were delicious.

I love these things, but I need to rethink the dipping process. I've been melting chocolate and butter over a double boiler, but I always find that about halfway through the process, the chocolate hardens into a most unappetizing mess. I either need to work in smaller batches, or else I may try a ganache (the additional cream ought to keep it smooth enough). I also find the dipper process a little difficult, because the candies don't really want to stick, but if you force them on, they look like they're stuck in the mud, instead of artfully speckled. I might also try just dumping the candies into the melted ganache next time.

That being said, this is a great summer treat and very customizable. You can use any kind of chocolate and any topping from candies to cookies to nuts. The Reese's Pieces worked really well with the banana and chocolate. And it really, really was yummy even if it didn't look like it.

Grade: B+ (docked for the less than beautiful appearance)

3 comments:

Listy-loo said...

Woo-hoo! Second day in a row to be the first responder. It is like you all have jobs or something!!!

Chocolate covered bananas are so good that I do not think anyone cares what they look like. To me. adding butter sounds like a bad idea. I would try the melting chips that are made for candy making/coating. Or the ganache sounds good too. You can't go wrong with that!

Shannonymous said...

sooooooooo delicious. and I agree- don't judge a frozen banana by its appearance ;)

Anonymous said...

I didn't even get to have one, because I was too full from all the other stuff. My mom made these when I was a kid, but the chocolate was never coated with anything. They were good, though.