Thursday, July 20, 2006

#39 Spinach and Tofu Dumplings


These are a little time consuming to make, but I liked doing it. Once you get into the rhythm of fill, moisten, fold it gets meditative and you can breeze through the assembly. They only take a few minutes to cook, and I froze the leftovers for another night (freeze them uncooked). Snowman thought they were a little bland, but he's a carnivore at heart. I, on the other hand, thought they were really scrumptious. We each ate about 10 as a meal. You decide for yourself. Recipe comes from the good folks at Food & Wine.

DUMPLINGS
5 ounces baby spinach (5 cups packed) (I used regular spinach to no ill effect)
5 ounces firm tofu, 1/4-in dice
2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 sm. jalapeno chiles seed, mince (I used one and it was plenty spicy)
1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons Asian sesame oil
Salt and pepper
45 wonton wrappers (I pretty much doubled this recipe and still didn't get 45 dumplings, so I think their estimation is way off)

DIP
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tablespoons unseason rice vinegar
1 teaspoon honey

MAKE THE DUMPLINGS:
Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add the spinach and cook for 20 seconds. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the spinach to a colander. When the spinach is cool enough to handle, squeeze it dry, then coarsely chop it. Keep the water hot.

Transfer the spinach to a medium bowl and stir in the tofu, cornstarch, jalapeƱos, soy sauce and sesame oil and season with salt and pepper.

Working with 4 wonton wrappers at a time, dampen the edges and mound 1 1/2 teaspoons of filling in the center of each wrapper. Fold 1 corner of each up over the filling and seal to make triangles. Repeat with the remaining wrappers and filling.

MAKE THE DIPPING SAUCE:
In a small serving bowl, stir the soy sauce with the vinegar and honey.

Return the water to a boil. Add the dumplings and simmer over moderate heat, stirring gently, until the edges are al dente, about 3 minutes. Carefully drain in a colander and transfer to a platter. Serve with the dipping sauce.

Grade: A

2 comments:

Shannonymous said...

Someday I will be ambitious enough to try this recipe...

that day will probably not come while I'm still living in my current apt. w/ my virtually non-existant kitchen...

they look so yummy though! =) I may need to find some other sort of dumpling for my lunch now!

MXF said...

I believe you can steam, boil, pan fry, or deep fry these, all to delicious result.