Sunday, July 16, 2006

#35 Undertranch a What?

From Schott's Food & Drink Miscellany...

According to the Booke of Kervinge (c. 1508), in which were tabulated the different carving terms to be employed for different animals:

carving term.............................................................animal
spoil.........................................................hen
disfigure...........................................peacock
wing.......................................................quail
barb....................................................lobster
undertranch.....................................porpoise

So, let's try that in a sentence...

"Hang it all, Jeeves, I'm famished! Spoil the hen!"


4 comments:

Shannonymous said...

hahahah! I love it. And now I'm hungry... again! ;)

Shannonymous said...

I agree. Anything that's that close to being as intelligent as a human shouldn't be eaten... I bet they're actually smarter than MANY humans!

Anonymous said...

Um, yes! What kind if part time vegitarian are you?

Shannonymous said...

I agree. Call me crazy, call me cruel, but I'd feel bad about eating a highly intelligent, gorgeous animal. On the other hand, I find cows adorable, but after spending time on a cattle ranch and seeing how COLLOSALLY STUPID they are, I have no problem eating them, let alone chickens who are just as dumb and, in my opinion, ugly once they reach the age of 6 months.