Friday, July 14, 2006

#33 Brasserie

100 E 53rd St.
NY, NY 10022
212-751-4840

A very sleek, mod layout--and you'd expect no less from a restaurant located inside the Mies Van der Rohe Seagram Building. But be warned: the airy, open space makes for very noisy eating.

My boss and I went to lunch here during Restaurant Week, so we had the $24.07 prix fixe (not that they give you that menu...you have to ask for it...and it comes on a thin whisp of paper...so everyone can tell)

I had an heirloom tomato appetizer with balsamic glaze and grilled onions. Very sweet and tart and lovely. For the entree I had skate Grenobloise, which was pan-fried and served with a lemon-caper sauce and some delightful haricots verts. The skate was fine...a little bland, and turns out I'm not a huge fan of lemon-caper sauce. Dessert was a superb creme brulee. The iced tea was faintly raspberry-flavored, and as a person who likes her tea strictly black, I have to say, this was really mellow and delicious.

Grade: B+

PS-I gave my boss notice at lunch too. That was free of charge!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

JB and I went here for our 2nd anniversary (our 1st in NYC). The food was good but not great. Funny, I quit my job the next day with my "Devil Wears Prada" boss. She did not get 2 weeks notice.