Friday, July 07, 2006

#26 R & Arrrgh

I can't decide about Rachael Ray. I don't really like her, but my favorite thing is to come home from work and watch 30-Minute Meals. Sometimes it unwinds me; sometimes it puts me to sleep. I never, ever want to make anything she cooks.

I think what bothers me most is that I always feel like I'm watching the same episode. She has about ten stock phrases that she pulls out all the time such as:

  • evoo--that's extra virgin olive oil [really, if you tell us what the abbreviation means every time you use it, stop using it]

  • It smells insane in here.

  • You can totally entertain with this meal.

  • Wash your greens when you get home from the market so they're ready to go when you're cooking.

  • Isn't that gorgeous?

  • I'm just gonna run my knife through this.

Let's not even go into her really awful wardrobe. Do people really still wear shirts tucked into high-wasted jeans? And has she heard of a support bra? I think not.

The funny thing is, one day I found myself browsing the cookbooks in Barnes & Noble and I came across her book No Repeats: A Year of Deliciously Different Dinners. I flipped through it and I actually liked most of the recipes I saw.

So I came to this conclusion: the whole reason I don't want to make any of her meals is actually because of her. If she could be replaced by, say, Data from Star Trek: Next Generation, I really think this show could sing.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I used to watch TV, I would watch her show every once in a while for the same reasons you do. To fall asleep or to unwind while hating her. As you know, I don't cook, so I think I just loved to hate her. And to hear her say e.v.o.o. twenty-nine times...

Anonymous said...

The EVOO business makes me want to get violent. I also hate her "yumm-o" thing. Yet, I find myself compelled to watch her $40 a day show (and then whine about how she stiffs the servers) and her tasty travels... all the while complaining about how annoying she is.

Also she says hubby and I really hate that.

VE said...

Data makes everything better. I'd like him to have a show on CNN.

MXF said...

I see I'm not alone...the reason I like to watch her must be because I like to hate her.

Data should run the country. The world, even.

Anonymous said...

Nope- you are not alone. I am ALSO annoyed by her yet still find myself watching her show. I have yet to make a single recipe from her. What really freaks me out is that she is getting a talk show this fall. Yup! Who gave her a talk show you might ask. Oprah. Rachel Ray also has her own magazine out. It is neither yumm-o or delish.

The Fink- I will take hubby instead of her referring to him as her "sweetie". Is she 10?

PS- Rachel, if you have to explain an abbreviation every time you use it, it is no longer effective!

MXF said...

I'm thinking this talk show will go along the lines of Emeril's sitcom venture...take someone who people like in one arena and put them in another arena where people will just stare blankly and say, "WTF?"