Saturday, July 08, 2006

#27 Aliada

29-19 Broadway
Astoria, NY 11106
718-932-2240

Snowman and I have lived in Astoria for over seven months now and have yet to visit a Greek restaurant. I told him they would revoke our Astoria membership card if we didn't go to one soon, so we decided to check out Aliada.

There's not much to talk about here, but what there was was good. We both had small, fresh starter salads, which come undressed, so you can slather them in oil and vinegar or eat them naked. I had the gyro platter. I haven't eaten a gyro in many, many years (it was hard to overcome the trauma of actually seeing the spit of pressed meat for the first time), but I was glad I revisited. The meat here was spicy and sweet and a little crispy. And they give you A LOT. Wrapped up in the fluffy pitas with a healthy dollop of tzatziki, this was truly a delicious meal. It also came with potatoes and rice, but I barely touched either as I wanted to leave as much room as possible for the superb meat. Service was pleasant and the prices were just right.

Grade: B+

2 comments:

VE said...

I'm ashamed to admit - I've been here for a year now and have yet to visit Aliada. Though I did go to Uncle George's once and puke all over the place because of the lamb meat in the spaghetti.

MXF said...

You really have to be careful about meatballs in Astoria! They all have lamb in them! Weird.