Saturday, August 05, 2006

#55 Popover Cafe

551 Amsterdam
NY, NY 10024
212-595-8555

I've been hearing about this place for years, so finally the opportunity presented itself to actually eat there. The service is super friendly and the decor is cute (sit in a window booth and you get to play with some teddy bears!). Three of us had various kinds of veggie sandwiches with melted cheese, served on--what else?--a popover. Snowman had a chicken salad, which came with a popover on the side. Super airy, buttery, flaky pastry filled with air inside, these popovers arrive in gigantic proportion (though again, the inside is all air, so don't get overwhelmed). My sandwich was filled with delicious vegetables, though it could have used some salt and/or pepper. My Arnold Palmer (that's half iced tea/half lemonade, for those of you that have never had one) was particularly tasty. Overall, a very fine place for a casual meal.

Grade: B

4 comments:

Shannonymous said...

When did you go? I've been there twice on Saturdays and had to wait almost an hour for a table. Didn't think it was quite worth the wait, but I might have bave been MUCH more pleased had I not been so sick of waiting...

MXF said...

Thursday around closing time...there was nary a customer.

Listy-loo said...

I relly like this place and the strawberry butter they serve with said popovers.

Anonymous said...

I have been there many times, and always love it. The chicken pot pie is scrumptious. So is the brunch. I've never had to wait.