Wednesday, June 28, 2006

#17 New Food: Don Tat

Don tat, don ta, Chinese egg custard...whatever you choose to call it, I'd never had it before. Smalls initiated me with a grab bag of different treats, all from Egg Custard King Cafe.

You know what egg custard tastes like? Eggs.

He got me four varieties: melon, egg white, banana, and almond. [I didn't take this photo, so they aren't the exact ones I ate, but they are from Egg Custard King. And, yes, the melon one is that bright green number!]

Melon: Not disgusting, but not palatable. Imagine eating a handful of scrambled eggs and a slice of honeydew. Chew.

Egg white: The best of the bunch! Flaky, buttery crust with sweet custard filling.

Banana: Runner-up favorite. The banana flavor definitely has an artificial feel, but some go for that. Like me.

Almond: As suspected, I didn't really like this one. I don't like almond extract. It seems like a too-concentrated almond taste, whereas real, fresh almonds are wonderfully mild.

I'd eat the egg white again any time, but I'm not sure how I feel about branching out into their kooky flavors anymore.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you seen this food blog? http://www.roboppy.net/food/ She mentioned these a while ago also... now I think I need to try them. I like custard.

MXF said...

I have seen it. And I read her bit about the egg custards! You probably would like them, but stick with the normal flavors. No melon!!!