Thursday, June 22, 2006

#11 Mango Love

I've eaten a lot of mangos this summer in my quest for the perfect smoothie, which, happily, I think I made this morning--a combo of mangos, raspberries, lemon juice, and apple juice. [A funny thing happened, though...at work I started to feel a little woozy. Why? Blood sugar spike from all the fruit. Next time I'll finish off the smoothie with a few almonds or a piece of whole wheat bread.]

So what are the health benefits of a mango, I wondered. Well, according to healthalternatives2000, one mango (I usually eat two in a smoothie) contains a healthy dose of dietary fiber, potassium, calcium, and vitamins A & C. There are roughly 140 calories per mango (which probably brings my total smoothie into the 400 calorie-range).

Tip: As far as I can tell, the best way to peel a mango is with a serrated knife. Stand the mango on the larger end and run the knife, as close to the skin as possible, down the mango. I tried using a vegetable peeler, and, needless to say, it was quite a mess!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Being the food geek that I am, I knnow that they make a device for cutting mangos. Check it out at the link below. I am hesitant to say that it is the best think to use. You really can't beat a knife.

http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodli.asp?Keywords=Mango%20Splitter&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Egoogle%2Ecom%2Fsearch%3Fclient%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den%2Dus%26q%3Dmango%2Bpeeler%2Fcutter%26ie%3Dutf%2D8%26oe%3Dutf%2D8

Marcos said...

I don't like mangos that much. In Corona, they slice them, and put hot sauce and Chilli Powder on them.

EM said...

YES!! Mangoes!!!

If you dont' want a special tool, you can slice off the sides, the you run a zipper-like cut (one long, and a bunch of horizontals) down the fruity side, turn up the skin, and it just pops up ... no mess ...

I'm not a food geek by any means.

I despise food.

but mangoes ... oh, mangoes ...

MXF said...

Mama, I think I could use both to good effect: the knife to peel it and the splitter to core it. I actually know someone at OXO...maybe she can score me a free 'un!

Is the plural of mango mangoEs? I wondered when I wrote the post, and meant to check, but never did...okay, I just checked. According to two dictionaries, it can go either way. Phew!