Wednesday, June 21, 2006

#10 Anyeong!

There are a few Asian grocery stores in the city that I like to frequent. My favorite--simply because it's more centrally located--is Han Ah Reum, fondly known as H Mart.

I went a few days ago with Smalls and bought some sardines, fish cakes, and bean sprouts out of the prepacked deli case. I don't think my mom ever made the fish cakes growing up, but I ate plenty of the sardines and sprouts throughtout my childhood. I just had some for lunch. Delish!

I also buy these delicious Japanese candies called Morinaga hi-chew [caveat: there is a generic brand of candy called hi-chew that should only be eaten in cases of dire desperation; make sure you get the good stuff with the konji writing!] that come in flavors like strawberry, grape, and yogurt. I buy whatever is there that day. They are a juicy, chewy taste explosion.

I like to buy at least one foreign item, something I've never had before and am not sure what it is either. There's plenty to choose from, since it's all in Korean or Japanese (even the stuff that is actually in English seems odd). I just look at the pictures and imagine putting it in my mouth. Sometimes I pick good things, sometimes I don't. This time I bought some Hello Kitty strawberry marshmallows with a jelly center. I'm not sure why I bought them since I don't like marshmallows that much (I guess I can't resist that adorable bow in her hair), but now that I'm halfway through the bag, I find them quite nice. Mildly fruity and not overly sweet.

2 comments:

EM said...

Mochi and Pockeys are good too!

MXF said...

I've been in discussions about mochi...I don't much like it, but I'm willing to try it once more. Don't know what the heck pockneys are though. Explain.