Wednesday, June 14, 2006

#1 In the Beginning

They say all roads lead to Rome, but I say all roads lead to my mouth.

I'm not sure what's going to become of this project--perhaps nothing at all. I'll post recipes and restaurant reviews as well as, well, basically, anything that has to do with food.

So this is what happened today:

For breakfast I had a leftover smoothie I had concocted for Snowman out of frozen blueberries, strawberries and raspberries plus a banana, some skim milk, and honey. Sounds good, right? Nope. Bleck. My first foray into smoothie-making, a dismal failure!



For lunch I had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, which I probably eat for lunch 3-4 times a week. I used to swear by Jif, but as I've gotten older (quel dommage!) I've decided to go the all natural route. I was having a hard time finding one that actually tasted like anything, until I came across Whole Foods own brand, called 365. They make a natural creamy peanut butter which is delicious and not overly-goopy like some of the naturals.

For dinner Snowman and I had--a real gastronomic delight--Kraft Mac N Cheese. I don't want to air anyone's dirty laundry, but Snowman tried to make it the other night and overcooked the pasta to a sad, mushy matter which was quickly deposited into the trash can. I added some broccoli, extra cheese, and a little chili jam (so wonderfully spicy and sweet) to jazz it up.

I also went to Barnes & Noble to find a proper smoothie book with recipes, since the one I made up on the cuff didn't work out so well. There is a much better selection on Amazon, of course, but when you get an idea in your head, only instant gratificiation will do. So there I was, sitting on the floor, books spread out, trying to figure out which smoothies sounded the healthiest, the most appetizing, the easiest to make. I settled on The Big Book of Juices and Smoothies because it had lots of tasty recipes, simple ingredients, and told you what vitamins you were getting and whether it was good for energy, immunity, detox, digestion, or skin. Haven't made any yet, but will soon.

I also ordered FreshDirect. Nothing like an impending shipment of munchies to help one sleep soundly!

Can't promise all entries will be this long. After all, 365 days is an awfully long time...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd like to recommend Fresh Direct's honey roasted peanut butter. Yummy.