Wednesday, May 31, 2006

You Can Quote Me...

I like quotes. Much like lists, in a world over-saturated with information, quotes seem like a good way to parse things out. One of my favorites is credited to Dame Julian of Norwich, a 14th century mistic: All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well.

I also like to compile quotes from the books I read. I don't necessarily think putting a "favorite quote" at the end of my book reviews in MICHELLEPHANT READS BOOKS necessarily captures all the nuances of what I've read, but I think it gives someone who has not read the book a decent idea as to the general tone.

I think a lot of times people are quoted out of context and I like to give them the benefit of the doubt. And I have thus far not posted anything even remotely political because I find arguing rather boring. But, seriously, what the fuck is wrong with this dude?

I would say the best moment of all was when I caught a 7.5-lb. perch in my lake.--George W. Bush, answering a German newspaper reporter who asked him to name the best moment of his five years as president. (taken from from TIME 5/22/06)

7 comments:

EM said...

I don't know why, but there's something so damned visually satisfying in those huge quote marks ...

MXF said...

Good point, JD.

I love Wilde. He is the king of the bon mot. Have you read his "children's" stories? That's some depressing reading.

Anonymous said...

Just when you think our president can't get any more stupid...

*SIGH*

VE said...

Run!! Run for the hills!!!!

MXF said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
MXF said...

I think the hills are where all his friends are.

Shannonymous said...

And the hills have eyes...