Tuesday, November 22, 2005

NYPL

I love the library. You just can't get bored there. And they let you read things...for free! I think it is truly one of the most awesome public services in the country. And who do we have to thank for it? Why, the inventor of the bifocal: Benji Franklin!

When I was younger I went to the library all the time with my dad. There was a big branch downtown and he would let us go off on our own. I would always go to the comics and read all the Garfields (a cat who loved lasagna? crazy!) and Peanuts. And I would check out all these books and never read them, but who cares? It was the possibility of reading that was so enticing. One time we went to a smaller local branch and I thought my dad left me there (I think that must have hurt his feelings for me to assume I meant so little to him that he would "forget" me anywhere). I called my mom and she came to get me. But before she got there, of course, my dad appeared. Now keep in mind, this was in the days before cell phones, so there was no telling my mom to head back home (and even if it weren't, my parents don't even have an answering machine so there's no hope for them getting cells). So suddenly I had TWO rides home...I felt stupid.

But I still loooove the library. And with LEO online you can reserve and renew books online! Genius! I look forward, with great anticipation, to the day when we no longer have to speak to each other.

No comments: