Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Diary of a dog in the night-time

I'm just back from a lovely trip to Aruba, but before I go into that, first things first. I finished two books! First was E.M. Delafield's Diary of a Provincial Lady. I stumbled across Delafield at work and after reading an exerpt of Diary online decided to check it out. Easy, fun to read, sort of the turn-of-the-century equivalent of...ah, I really want to put something here that it's the turn-of-the-century equivalent of, but I can't think of anything.

Favorite quote: That may be all very well, but if they could have got husbands they wouldn’t be feminists.

Second was the curious incident of the dog in the night-time by Mark Haddon. Also a very quick read. Maybe this book doesn't totally accurately represent what an autistic teenager is like, but I don't really think anything can fully represent anything else. I mean, it just a book. Still it's funny and touching and even includes maths!

Favorite quote: ...a thing is interesting because of thinking about it and not because of being new.

Get out there and read people!

No comments: