Tuesday, December 07, 2004

New Year's reso

I have a New Year's resolution (I know, I know, it's only December 7th!): no more free hugs. This doesn't mean no more hugs ever, of course. Hugs are one of the great things about having two arms and a torso. I've certainly had more than a few innocent crushes germinate from more than a few not-so-innocent hugs.

But's let's face it, New York City is hug-happy. Maybe it's because life can be so sour here and really we're all looking for a little affection anywhere we can get it. It's just that there have been many occasions in the past years where I've run into someone who has greeted me with open arms. I, on the other hand, am thinking, "I can almost remember your name" or "I was hoping you weren't going to be here" or just plain old "Yuck." Yet it's much easier to just do the hug than back away, which can only be taken as an act of open hostility and rejection.

I'm not doing it anymore. It's my body and if I don't like you, you're not getting a hug so climb off!

No comments: