Wednesday, December 29, 2004

The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin

I read an exerpt from The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin while I was in college and was quite impressed with how practical, determined and rational he was (nevermind those rumors about illegitimate children). I'd always meant to read it in its entirety, and here we are, 8 years later and I've done it. And while the Angry Dolphin slogs through Walter Isaacson's 608 page monster, I've finished my 136 page trifle in no time at all. By the way, despite the NYPL having over thirty copies of this book, I can never check it out for additional time because there is always a waiting list. I find this odd.

Favorite quote: But, on the whole, tho’ I never arrived at the perfection I had been so ambitious of obtaining, but fell far short of it, yet I was, by the endeavour, a better and happier man than I otherwise should have been if I had not attempted it...

No comments: