Thursday, July 27, 2006

#46 Banana Rum Coconut Cookies


Originally, I made these as a take home gift for the party-goers, but after I made them, I realized I didn't really have enough, so I just put them out with everything else and gave people skillets and nail polish and old CDs to take home instead. I think these tasted good, but the texture was very cakey. The online comments for this recipe warned me of such, so I wasn't surprised, but after like two days, they became very chewy. Not sure I'd make them again as I feel there are better uses of banana, rum, coconut than this. The recipe comes from Cooking Light.

2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup ripe mashed banana (about 1 medium)
1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise (a reader suggested using 1/2 cup applesauce and 1 tbsp oil, which is what I did cause mayo don't belong in cookies!)
1 teaspoon rum (I used 1 tbsp)
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup quick-cooking oats
1/2 cup flaked sweetened coconut
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (I think I omitted these)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Dash of ground ginger

Preheat oven to 350°.

Place first 4 ingredients in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until blended. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and remaining ingredients, stirring with a whisk. Stir flour mixture into banana mixture. Drop dough by 2 tablespoonfuls onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 19 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pan; cool completely on a wire rack. (Again, because of their cakey consistency, you may want to spread them out a little before you bake them, so they cook evenly.)

Grade: B-

1 comment:

Shannonymous said...

These I liked a lot and might actually attempt, but I might leave out the raisins. Thanks! =)