Tuesday, July 25, 2006

#44 Double-Fried Plantain Rounds


I think these were the hit of the party. I've never fried anything before (we saute a lot at my house), so I was excited to use a new technique. I'd also never used plantains before. This was a pretty simple process, although it did take awhile to pound them all out. I served them with a sweet and spicy chili jam (bought at Whole Foods after I had the truly amazing jalapeno jam at Mesa Grill, which is, alas, not available outside of that restaurant...I shall miss you, jalapeno jam, when I leave). This recipe comes from Michael Chiarello.


4 green plantains
2 cups vegetable oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Peel plantains and cut into 1-inch thick rounds.

Heat the oil in a small saucepan until hot but not smoking. Drop the plantain rounds into the hot oil 3 or 4 at a time and cook until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels. (I crowded the pan and it didn't seem to have any effect on the frying time.)

Set each fried plantain on a flat side, and using a rolling pin, frying pan, or whatever else you think will work, squash it as flat as you can. It should have a circular shape.

Return the flattened plantain sections to the hot oil 3 or 4 at a time and cook until the entire surface is golden brown, about 2 minutes. Remove the plantains from the oil, drain, and season liberally with salt and pepper. Serve hot or at room temperature.

Grade: A

4 comments:

TinselTeeth said...

Definitely my favorite of Bananarama--the perfect combination of salty and sweet. And not too oily. Great job!

Anonymous said...

See... I have a confession to make. I usually love these by themselves, but you told me to put the jelly stuff on there, so I did. It was too spicy for me. I don't like spicy things. So then I suffered through a coupla bites because I didn't want to offend you. I really wished I had left them plain, though. I sorry.

MXF said...

That's funny because I have no memory of you eating them at all, so you suffered for naught. I didn't make the chili jam, so I wouldn't have been offended. I simply would have thought you had no taste whatsoever.

Listy-loo said...

I loved these too! Maybe cause they were fried. I love fried. And I have to agree with tinselteeth- they weren't too greasy. Yummy!