Sunday, July 02, 2006

#20 Red

19 Fulton Street
New York, NY 10038
212-571-5900

Are we crazy? Maybe. But Cos wanted an adventure and we agreed. We started at 207th Street and Broadway, and proceeded to walk south. ALL THE WAY south (my poor throbbing feet!). 5 1/2 hours and 15 miles later, our reward was a meal at Red.

We pretty much picked this restaurant because we were all insanely tired, moderately cranky, and it was the first thing we saw. Our waitress was a little odd, but in a charming way (and, boy, did she loooove Jake). Jane, full of excitement, told her about our just completed adventure, to which our waitress said, "Cool. I used to walk from Hunter to Brooklyn all the time." So she wasn't THAT impressed, but she did bring us a giant pitcher of water and individual salsa cups for our chips in case anyone wanted to "double dip."

I ordered a banana strawberry smoothie. What I got was no banana and what was essentially a strawberry daiquiri, hold the likker. Not so good. However, my medium-cooked cheeseburger was almost perfect. It was loaded with fresh red onion, which I love on burgers. The "red" fries were also good (though Snowman remarked "I thought they'd be redder"). It was a huge lunch, which I couldn't totally finish.

It was really hard to get up after we ate. Our fatigue hit us like a skillet over our heads. I may or may not have lied down on the banquette for a little while.

Grade: B

No comments: