Sunday, June 18, 2006

#7 Aix

2398 Broadway
New York, NY 10024
212.874.7400

The weekend of eating out continues...this time to the ever-popular Didier Virot-owned French restaurant Aix (pronounced ehx). Lovely, dark, soothing decor and mostly pleasant service, but the food was hit-and-miss. My appetizer of grilled asparagus with shiitakes, striped beets, goat cheese, and walnut vinaigrette was fantastic. I love beets and paired with the tart cheese and sweet earthy asparagus, this was just delicious. However, my entree of a brisket sandwich with emmenthaler was quite unimpressive. The brisket was dry and flavorless (the tangy cole slaw helped somewhat). The French fries, however, were probably some of the best I've ever had. Crispy, hot, perfectly salted. The red-haired clown himself would be duly impressed. My latte, although mouth-searingly hot at first, was perfect. Overall, I'm afraid I have to mark it down for a rather boring entree, especially when it costs over $20.

Grade: B-

No comments: