Monday, December 19, 2005

There's a place for us...

You know that sound the subway trains make when they leave the station? It's an oddly melodic three-note screech. Have you ever noticed? If you have noticed, have you further noticed it sounds like the first three notes of "Somewhere" from West Side Story? Next time you're listening to a train pulling out of the station, sing the words "There's a place for us..." in your head and you'll see what I mean. Who knew the MTA where Bernstein fans?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOD!!! I think of that ALL the time!!! And yet when I said it to a friend who is similarly musical theatre-inclined, he looked at me like I'd just suggested we square dance right there on the platform. Thank you Michellephant for hearing what I've been hearing for so long!!! I feel relatively sane again. =)

Marcos said...

I don't hear that at all- I hear the theme song to Harry Potter.