Thursday, September 29, 2005

Wild(e) On!

I didn't quite finish Oscar Wilde's Complete Short Stories, but since they are just short stories, I didn't have to finish the whole thing, right? I like him; I like his writing. He is one of those historical figures I would have liked to have known personally. And I know he had a hard life, what with prison and all, but his fairy tales are quite disturbing. You think it will end pleasantly, but the then the last sentence will literally be "He died poor and alone. Everyone hated him."

Listen up children: life is hard, unfair, cruel. Worst of all is love. Whatever you do, DO NOT FALL IN LOVE! You will die alone. The end.

Favorite quote: The only thing that sustains one through life is the consciousness of the immense inferiority of everybody else... ("The Remarkable Rocket")

No comments: