Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Everything Is Illuminated

I thought Everything is Illumintated would be better. Jonathan Safran Foer wrote a short article in Real Simple about having a dog when he's allergic to dogs (or something) and I thought it was an interesting, sweet article. So why not read his book? It had gotten such fantastic reviews (which should have been a caution to me: few things live up to their own hype). Foer's writing reminds me of Salman Rushdie's. Of course, Rushdie's got an excuse: he writes like Rushdie because he is Rushdie. I'm not sure what Foer's excuse is. I'm not saying the book is bad. It's not bad. It's good. It's mostly enjoyable. It's just not amazing. Which was kind of what I was led to believe.

Favorite quote: I know that it is not necessary that there be one right thing. There may be two right things. There may be no right things.

No comments: