Thursday, October 14, 2004

My friend says he likes to watch Rachel Ray because you can tell she smoked way too much pot in college. I used to find her slightly irritating, but now I can't stop watching her show. [This is the way it goes on the Food Network. I find one show and watch it so many times I eventually can't stand the sight of it anymore. I mean, don't make me watch anymore Unwrapped, for the love of GOd! Even Alton Brown is starting to grate on my nerves.] But here's the thing: she uses EVOO as an abbreviation for extra virgin olive oil. She says it about twenty times an episode, but every time she says it she tells you what it stand for. Frinstance:

"I'm just going to heat some EVOO in a pan--that's extra virgin olive oil..."

OR

"Then you're gonna toss the salad with a little EVOO--extra virgin olive oil..."

OR

"Drizzle the chicken with a little EVOO--extra virgin olive oil..."

My question is, if she tells us what the abbreviation stands for every time she uses it, is that really a good abbreviation?

My answer is no, that is not a good abbreviation.

No comments: